Monday, September 24, 2018

Saturday September 24 vs the Tigers - Rained Out

The Orioles game against the Tigers was rained out today and would be made up as part of a double header the next day on September 25th.

I spent this weekend up in Delaware.  Sabra was away for a week or so - she had gone back to the Midwest to visit family - but I went up to Delaware to hang out with my parents and my friends.  I ended up going to the Phillies game this evening and saw something special.  The Expos were in town and their starting pitcher Pascual Perez threw a no-hitter.  It was raining in Philadelphia that evening as well and the game ended up getting called after six innings so it's not an "official" no-hitter.  (Actually it was at the time - MLB didn't change the definition of an "official no-hitter" to exclude any games shorter than nine innings until a few years later.)

I got back to my parents' house in time to watch the local news at 11 PM.  The sportscaster mentioned that the no-hitter would have an asterisk next to it - not because it was rain shortened but because it was against the 1988 Phillies.  The Phillies were the third worst team in baseball that year, behind the Orioles and the Braves (who actually had a worse record than the Orioles at this point in the season).  I was able to watch all three of these teams from my parents' house.  Their cable system carried the sports channels from both Philadelphia and Baltimore as well as Superstation WTBS which was the Braves TV home at the time.  The only last place team my parents couldn't watch on a regular basis that year was the Seattle Mariners.

No comments:

Post a Comment