Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Monday August 8 - Off Day

The Orioles were off today as they prepared for a two city, seven game road trip.  I was on the road today as well, flying from BWI to Boston and then driving up to Westford, Massachusetts for a System Administration class at Masscomp Computers.  I'm a computer programmer and not a system administrator (although I'd be doing some of that on my new project hence the training) but it was good to get an understanding of that side of things.  Plus I got to spend about 10 days including the weekend in Massachusetts where I had a couple friends.  And I would get to a Red Sox game at Fenway.  Of course because I was going to Massachusetts I wasn't able to go to my grandfather's funeral this day in Kansas.

In other baseball news - tonight was to be the night of the first night game in Wrigley Field history.  Wrigley Field was the last major league baseball park without lights.  There was resistance to night baseball from the surrounding neighborhood but pressure from the team and MLB* finally won out and lights were installed during the season.  Tonight's game against the Phillies was the first scheduled night game.  The Cubs were leading 3-1 in the fourth inning when the skies opened up, causing the game to be called following a two hour rain delay.  The first night game in Wrigley FIeld history would end up being the NEXT night when the Cubs beat the Mets 6-4.

*MLB threatened to move any Cubs World Series home games to an alternate site if they didn't add lights - which means that the Cubs could have waited until 2016 before putting in the lights.  (In fairness the Cubs made the playoffs in 1989 and a number of times since then.  They also would not have hosted the All Star Game in 1990 if they had not added lights.)

No comments:

Post a Comment